Interesting Facts About Silver

Friday, July 4, 2008

  • Silver has been coined to use as money since 700 BC.

  • The term 'sterling silver' in reference to the grade .925 silver emerged in England in the 13th century.

  • In ancient Egypt and Medieval Europe, silver was often more valuable than gold.

  • Words for silver and money are the same in at least fourteen languages.

  • Silver iodide has been used in attempts to seed clouds to produce rain.

  • Most mirrors are backed with aluminum. For a superior quality finish, silver is used because of its high quality reflectivity.

  • Because of its ability to take the highest polish, silver has a greater reflectivity than even gold!

  • Mirrors are coated with silver because it reflects nearly all light.

  • Of all the metals in existence, silver is the best conductor of electricity.Silver is what makes photography possible. Silver halide crystals are present in unexposed film.

  • In 2003, the UK minted half a million ounces of silver into coins and medals.Silver bearings are used in jet engines because they provide superior performance.

  • Silver is used in long life batteries. Billions of silver oxide-zinc batteries are in use everyday powering everything from quartz watches to digital cameras.

  • Silver possesses, it's working qualities similar to gold but can achieve the most brilliant polish of any metal. To make it durable for jewelry, however, pure silver (999 fineness) is often alloyed with small quantities of copper. In many countries, Sterling Silver (92.5% silver, 7.5% copper) is the standard for Jewelry and has been since the 14th century.

  • The copper toughens the silver and makes it possible to use silver 925 for decorative and fashionable jewelry.

  • Throughout the ages, silver jewelry has been associated with magical powers; believed to promote healing, bring good luck and for warding off evil spirits to the wearer.While these beliefs are not part of mainstream thinking today, some people still hold them true.

  • Silver has always been held in high esteem and displayed as a status symbol since it was mined approx. 4,000 BC in Asia Minor.

  • By the 18th century, things began to change in Europe and a new fashion fad surfaced: silver buckles appeared on shoes where laces had always been. Although today we generally consider shoe buckles to be functional items, back in the 1700's, they were a form of jewelry.

  • Silver jewelry was a significant indicator of status until the very end of the 18th century, because it was limited to a privileged few. It was the Industrial Revolution, through mass manufacturing, which finally made jewelry available to the general population.

  • Silver's melting point is 1761 degrees F or 960 degrees C

  • Silver is being put into paper used in medical professions because of its antibiotic-like characteristics.

  • Silver is a dental alloy and used to be used in cavity fillings. Now dentists have clear fillings that do not contain silver.

  • Silver can be eaten, although it is not advised.

  • Silver was mentioned in the book of genesis (bible)

  • The name silver came from the old english word seolfor.

  • In India, food can be found decorated with a thin layer of silver, known as Varak.

  • The crystal structure of silver is cubic.

  • Silver is harder than gold, but softer than copper.

  • Man learned to separate silver from lead as early as 3,000 B.C. Silver has been mined and prized for its beauty and durability for at least 6,000 years.

  • Silver has superior bactericidal qualities. Small concentrations of silver orsilver salts kill bacteria by chemically affecting the cell membranes, causing them to break down. Bacteria do not develop resistance to silver, as they do to many antibiotics.

  • Silver is the best conductor of heat of all elements. Its uses in solar panelsand automobile rear window defoggers take advantage of this quality.

86 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THESE INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT SILVER THEY HELPED ME PASS SCIENCE(:

Anonymous said...

Thanks this helped a ton!! Added some random facts to my paper and made it much better! :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot, whoever you are because it was so helpful to my science project

Anonymous said...

Helped a ton an my Periodic table of elements super hero project

:)

Unknown said...

amazing! now i wont fail this huge science prodject!

Anonymous said...

Thank you soooooooo much!!! without this, i would have failed my science project!!! :]

Anonymous said...

Well, thanks so much, because I needed about 4 more facts for my project and I had looked everywhere!!! You helped me get at least hopefully and A on my wonderful atom of an element project!!!!! I am very excited.....

Caleb said...

Now my teacher won't fail me thxxxx

Anonymous said...

Help a lot with my science and made me pass ! thanks a lot !!

Unknown said...

thank you so much. I will now get a good grade on my science project.

Anonymous said...

Thx this was awesome n now i wont fail science

Silver Jewelry said...

This is such a cute post! i love it! hope u r doing well!
Its really a great.

Anonymous said...

Thanx loads!!! these facts did a superb job in my science assignment. thanx heaps!!!!

Nowell said...

Thank you for this post i g=had to write a 5 page paper and your facts helped a lot.

caleb varcoe said...

helped so much with my science project. Got exellence!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This didn't help me at all. I failed my science project. Way to go person :(

Anonymous said...

Didn't help at all

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch! I can now finish my paper on silver! Yay,project done!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much this helped me greatly for my Chemistry project!!1

Anonymous said...

thanks

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had extra room on my poster board for science so i thought I'd to facts about silver and now my project is loads better!!!!!! :]

Anonymous said...

this helped a lot im doing a atomic model on silver and i nedded facts THANKS =D

Anonymous said...

thanks i got an a+ on my science project

Anonymous said...

thanks i got an a+ on my science project woo hoo

Anonymous said...

didnt help at all :(

Anonymous said...

loved it! helped me with my project

Anonymous said...

thnx a lot for posting these...improved my paper and my knowledge

Anonymous said...

Hi this had helped me a lot in my blog... thank you... :)

Anonymous said...

Ohmy(: Thank you!! Helped me pass

Anonymous said...

THANKS a bunch now i wont fail my science project

Anonymous said...

thanks so much. now i know a lot thing about silver. now i am able to do my project about silver...........

x said...

Gavin the sir says hi jordan if yer reeding this

Anonymous said...

Because of this i failed my science project

Anonymous said...

thanks you helped me

Anonymous said...

Thanks sooo much

Anonymous said...

mwah i could kiss u right now i fukin pass my sci proj ;)

samantha said...

thank u sooo much it realy helped me. i had to do a fact file on silver!i hope my teacher likes it!

Anonymous said...

thank you saved by science project

Anonymous said...

thank you sooo much! I had a report due on silver and this gave me all the info i needed in one place! great website, thanks again!

Anonymous said...

thank you sooo much! I had a report due on silver and this gave me all the info i needed in one place! great website, thanks again!

Anonymous said...

thanks a bunch now i wont fail my project

Anonymous said...

it was helpful but try to make it more interesting to read the 1st half was good but the second half i got bored but 4 stars

Cheyenne said...

THIS HELPED ME SO MUCH THX SO MUCH

Anonymous said...

NOw I wont fail! HURRAH!

Anonymous said...

thank you

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much!!! Helped make my paper interesting xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. Now I have facts for my power point

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!! Like tots ridic!! I so needed like tots amazballs facts about silver, you know, and i was just like "OMG why don't i just like go on the internet and like tots look it up?" and then it was just like right there. It was just so cool and amazballs. I never thought I could learn so much stuff about like silver, I mean if we can learn this much about silver imagine how much we could learn about world hunger! And PEACE!!! OMG we could like tots save someone's life and like totes all go shopping together!!!!! OMG just imagine it guys! This is totes sick dude!! or chick whatever you are, you amazballs blogger, you keep written girlfriend/ boyfriend and I'll keep reading:D xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the SILVER facts :) I love silver it is soooooooo pretty

Anonymous said...

thanks now i wont fail summerschool lol

Anonymous said...

Wow thanx a lot really helped with my science project. Hopefully may teacher will like it as much as i do

Anonymous said...

Yes, my science project fact sheet is now complete. Thank-you! Now I just have to make a Bohr model diagram.

heaven smith said...

that you it helped alot i did not know all these things about silver <3 :)

heaven smith said...

Thank You i did not know this much things about silver it helped a lot <3 :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you! These really helped with my science project.
;D

Unknown said...

This helped my science project so much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot :)

Rorz said...

Thanks this has helped me do my science homework
From rorz

Anonymous said...

Thanks to this I got an A in science! thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

I Love You!! Thanks so much,now my Science Project is the bomb.com

Unknown said...

So much to know about silver! I love the silver spoon information. Who would have thought? http://oliverjewellery.ca/

Midnight Comedy said...

Thank u soooooooooooo much for this, I have a terrible grade in science and I need to bring it up! This is perfect since I'm doing a project on Silver
ur a genius whoever u r!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much I couldn't have gotten my information for my Element Project without these!!! :D

Anonymous said...

interesting...thank you...

Anonymous said...

Thanks helped me a lot passed my science project.

Anonymous said...

OMG thank you so much for the facts. I can Finnish off my science project.

Unknown said...

OMG thank you so much again. You helped me pass my science. Sure was a pain finding problems with silver though.

Unknown said...

Thanks A LOT, if you hadn't made this or if i didn't find this information i would've failed my science project... Thank You VERY much!:)

Bacon Burger said...

Cheese Burgers rule more than asparagus

baconcheese said...

Bacon and cheese rule

Anonymous said...

I really like this page of words I really don't like reading but when I read this I learned a lot and now I will not fail science

Unknown said...

Utmärkt! Detta var till stor hjälp! Jag är så glad att jag hittade denna, hjälpte du mig en hel del! Än en gång, stort arbete! Excellent! This was very helpful! I am so glad I found this, you helped me a lot! Once again, great work!

Anonymous said...

The fact about silver being the most thermal conductive element is incorrect. It is less conductive than both carbon in diamond form, and helium II superfluid

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much too, and i recommend this to use

Saber said...

great facts :) very useful and some are quite suprising

Anonymous said...

aewsome website more choices of idea and facts i thank this website and very useful for science project

Anonymous said...

tots amazeballs. Bacon and cheese rule!

Unknown said...

this helped me with my project on Silver #yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :) ;)

Unknown said...

this helped me with my project on Silver #yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :) ;)

Anonymous said...

OMG THIS HELPED ME WITH MY SCIENCE PROJECT TO ADOPT AN ELEMENT MY ELEMENT WAS SILVER!!

Anonymous said...

helped me with my periodic table superheri

Anonymous said...

wow awsome facts it helped me on my project on silver which i will be graded on thanks soooo much

Anonymous said...

I'm writing a research paper and I might do a presentation as well and these facts helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

thanks a ton this helped soooooooooooooooooooo much on my paper, i think i wrote more than half in the paper

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much �� for these facts I passed my science test ��